18. It looks like a car!

image_pdfimage_print

Well a bit anyway!

IMG_20160419_120452

To go back a bit, I have spent a very worried time.  First off, I was all ready to set the static timing with my new 123 ignition unit; I was then concerned that when we replaced the flywheel, it should have been lined up in such a way that the timing hole would be at 8 deg BTDC.   Turns out, according to Callum Beveridge at citroenspecialsclub.org that there is only one way.  “Oh yes” says Ed,  “I remember now. There was a lug that locates the flywheel in a unique position” .  Armed with that we tried to start the engine using Easystart squirted straight into the carb.  No response (except sparks at the plugs) – probably just as well, there was still no oil in the engine or gearbox!

IMG_20160415_140244

High tech ignition system!

Next issue of concern was, and has always been, working out the RHD holes on the LHD tub.   Callum again was incredibly helpful with photos of his build and patient conversation resulting in my understanding of how the pedals should go.

LHD Tub

Starting point is the hole for the steering column; everything works back from there. The pedal assembly of course is not handed and simply is moved relative to the steering column.

With Roy and I setting the tub on the chassis, removing it, setting it on again, removing it, circumcising the rear legs of the chassis (15mm chamfered off) to fit under the shell, fitting it back on again, and lining up the screw holes, we were able to locate the hole for the steering.

IMG_20160419_124500

Drilling was straightforward, even if done by an alien(!),  and the gaiter previously ordered, fitted perfectly!   We now understand how the pedal assembly fits (clutch and brake pedals either side of the column) and we have drilled a new hole for the brake master cylinder.      Although Burton suggest the cutting and welding of the accelerator pedal to shorten it, the right hand side gives an opportunity to just bend it and take the cable out higher up on the bulkhead.

IMG_20160419_184740

Examination of the handbrake lever proved that it was too short, but a quick read of the manual reassures me that somewhere in the collection of Burton bits is an extended central section lever!

Roy and I spent some time looking at the front of the car, and I was convinced that the engine seemed off centre, which made lining up the tub apparently more difficult, but we now think it may have been an optical illusion. First off the heat exchangers are not at the same angle to the notional horizontal centre line; then we realised that the gear lever is not central to the gear box and sits on an offset top plate. All goes to confuse the eye (and my brain)

IMG_20160419_120444

Other things are going to be in the way of too much more activity for the next week or so; it will be “mothballed” from the weekend until we get down to seriously getting the engine to work AFTER I have filled it with oil.  I have new air and fuel filters coming and I already have a maintenance kit for the carb, so work obviously there to do.  We need to finish off the holes in the tub and fit the pedals and connect the brake system up to check there are no leaks.  Roy has to design the dashboard and I have to chase up the new seats with their head restraints all from Cobra Seats.

Back in a while….

 

2 thoughts on “18. It looks like a car!

    • British Racing Green. The colour has obviously not come through well enough. Come down and see for yourself. You would be very welcome. K

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *