3. Hard work

OK – so now the hard work to get to something usable as the basis for the Burton body. Having seen the various videos on the web about dismantling 2CV bodies, it was obvious that this stage was going to take no time at all.

Wrong! Each body panel has rusted and/or impossible to reach bolts; each doors’ hinges secured by impossible to turn female hex sockets. Solution – easy; buy metal drill bits and drill them out.

No! Assemble the angle grinder, grind off the heads and using brute force, pull the doors off. That worked, although at much personal cost in terms of strength needed – not to mention the showers of sparks from the grinding. “Did I protect the fuel tank?”

Last problem with the body is to undo the final bolts holding the shell to the chassis, and have the shell taken away to the scrap yard. I have now contacted several scrap yards, none of whom seem to want to come and take them away. Looks like I am going to have to cut the body down and stick the pieces in the back of the BMW and take them off to the Council dump.

IMG_20150725_175702IMG_20150725_175648

 

In order to finally separate the body from the shell, I have disassembled the hand brake, brake master cylinder and pedals. I still need to pull the steering column from the steering rack, not yet sure how to do that, so no panic yet about scrapping except I really need the room in the garage. I can see that logistics are playing, and will play, a large part as to how successful this project is going to be.

IMG_20150725_175746

Anyway, I am still very enthusiastic, and making many new friends as they pass my open garage and stop for a chat!




2. Getting set up

Little to report to date, except I have got my tools over to the garage, my overalls are having Team Noble printed on the back, and all I need now is some time to get going.

First off, I have to remove the fuel tank – for obvious reasons before the angle grinder comes out to help take off the body shell.  35 years of rust is not helping the apparently simple unbolting that should be all that is necessary.

The new chassis is sitting waiting on trestles ready to receive the bits needed from the donor car. But before that happens, loads of degreaser to be applied to everything.  I also have to Waxoyl the chassis to protect it – much discussion as to the merits of Waxoyl, Dinitrol, POR in the 2CV blogs, but ECAS recommended Waxoyl, so be it.

 




1. An idea takes shape

A long time ago, a very good friend of mine, Roy Winkler, foolishly suggested we do the classic Monte Carlo rally. We were young and up for that sort of thing and so, having found an old MG Magnette on a mountain top in Wales, we fettled it,  threw a rod, fettled it again and finished the Rally.   Somewhat later in our lives,  he rang me and said did I want to help build a 2CV based Pembleton.  I was old and up for that sort of thing and so I said “yes”, and after Team Winkler was created, a very special car was born.  My experiences with Roy led me to think that another 2CV based “special” might be fun, and after a trip to Holland to the factory, I ordered a Burton sports car kit; with Roys help, Team Noble has been created.   We intend to transform an old Citroen Dyane into a Burton sports car, and this blog will hopefully depict the transformation from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan.

Finding a donor car was the start.  With 2CV “barn finds” going for over £1,500 I decided to go for a Dyane, the less attractive but equally suitable donor.  An advert on the web, and a round trip from Surrey to Northamptonshire to pick up the car, on to Stafford to the excellent ECAS 2CV Parts Ltd works to pick up a new chassis and then back to Surrey now gives us a donor car sitting in the garage gradually being undressed.

original ad pictureIMG_20150708_125919IMG_20150709_161059