21. Workin’ workin’ workin’!

Solved the oil leak – wasn’t the cooler, but the oil feed from the block to the RHS “pot”.   A call to ECAS ordered a new flexible hose replacement, and at the same time I ordered a new Reniflard (“breather”  to the English speaking nations) and, what I thought at the time was brilliant, a fuel pump primer.  The fuel primer may not have been such a good idea – we will see when I install it.


old pipe that split

The breather is now installed with a new gasket, as is the oil feed pipe.  I have yet to test them but I have every expectation that they will work.  The manual says in big capital letters  “DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN”, however it is very difficult to get a torque wrench in there so I have estimated it – as usual with most of the bolts!


new flexible pipe

While rummaging around in the original kit that Burton sent me I came across this. Initially I thought it was a tool to fit the bonding between body and chassis (see later) but an email to Burton elicited the response that it was the catch for the boot lid – who knew….?


Another issue that has become apparent when converting from LHD tub to RHD is the positioning of the battery tray.  It sits easily on the LHS but the support bracket has nowhere to go because of all the exhaust plumbing.  A new hole drilled in the tray and several drill bits later moved the support to one side and bolted through an existing chassis hole.  The horn then sits neatly under the battery tray horizontally and misses the handbrake mechanism.  We shall see whether the sound output is affected, or indeed if it suffers from rain ingress!


Generally the engine and attachments are getting crowded. When I come to fit the hoses it is going to be well cramped and will cause problems with accelerator, choke and heater cables.  Something to look forward to.

Next off, I took the executive decision to tie the body permanently to the chassis.  Up until now I have thought that it would be an easier job to remove the engine without the hindrance of the body,  but with the engine starting and running so well even with the oil leak, I thought it is time to move on.

A word to Burton car builders. The spongy tape that comes with the body as the interface between body and chassis should be put on before the body is mounted.  I didnt! You try being upside down head first in the footwell surrounded by festoons of wires and loose gear levers and handbrake levers, and then leaning on the very section of fibreglass you are trying to lift to insert the tape,  I lost kilos working on it.  A further tip? Place the “J” chassis clips on the chassis before mounting the body as the same problem applies trying to do it retrospectively.

The body is now mounted, and I can permanently fix the steering wheel, handbrake and gearlever and support. Progress. The manual does try to confirm that the body needs to be slightly off centre to accommodate the alternator and the bonnet.  Indeed I have read elsewhere that the shortest possible fan belt is also necessary for the same reason.  I reckon I do have a few mm to play with if necessary, but if I do need to move the body, I will also need to move the steering column over to prevent it from hitting the tunnel. I will not drill any holes to fix until I am happy with the overall positioning.

In order to fit a PowerTube recommended by Burton for an extra few bhp (obviously much needed) my fan cowling does not work as it is designed for a Dyane and the 2CV is different.  Burton builders beware the differences generally between 2CV, Dyane and all the other derivatives. Take advice as to what can be used and what not.  Anyway I have ordered a replacement from Classic 2CV recycling and I hope that will do the trick. (I must check that it also has the disc cooling tubes as well…  email to Martyn Wilson at Classic 2cv recycling)

I now have to fit the various cables.  Much discussion on the internet about the accelerator cable which now has a more tortuous route to get to the pedal on a RHD car. Someone suggested using a Shimano bike teflon coated tube and cable which I duly ordered…. I am probably thick but cannot get the cable into the tube so I may need some other ideas, particularly as the exit from the pedal puts the cable very high on the bulkhead.

So that’s where we are at the moment – more workin! next week.

By way of aside and to counter any view that I might know what I am doing at any time I have shown here a photo of me somewhat wet after a days trip on the river.  I trust Ed is not reading this as he already has a somewhat dubious view of my marine activities, although having had a day on the river with him on his narrowboat, I am not sure I gave any clues then.  But today…..

A quiet day at Harleyford, preparing to take the boat out for the first time since its delivery.    No excuses….. untying; boat drifts; I hang on with hands on pontoon and feet on boat; boat drifts further……  I am sure you can imagine.  Anyone who said I was so laid back that I was almost horizontal would have seen that enacted just before I went vertical again – in the river    🙂

The photos show me in a state of undress after the marina shop confirmed they had no clothes in stock.   Phone caput, wallet soaking, feet squelchy …. but it was very funny, except Millie seemed a bit frightened for a short while.

All ok – nightmare journey on M4 with coach passengers and lorry drivers looking down…  and I shudder to think what the neighbours think as I got out of the car at home.

everything soaked...

everything soaked…

That’s all for the moment – will report soon on next bit of progress




1 thought on “21. Workin’ workin’ workin’!

  1. Actually Ed is reading this and is genuinely surprised that the author of this blog chose to find out the hard way that humans make fairly useless bridges. Oops!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *