image_pdfimage_print

23. Maybe not so cool!

image_pdfimage_print

Back from sailing – great trip, thank you for asking!  The Adriatic Sea is a fantastic sailing ground and while there were one or two problems with the boat (me standing in 3 inches of water in the heads with no drainage and ever increasingly smelly!) we had a fabulous time.

20160912_185511

Back on terra firma and it is back to the Burton.  We left it running sweetly, but having thrown out a lot of oil, the oil cooler and the oil feeder lines have had to be replaced.   The gaiter on the drive shaft also needed to be replaced; long time to do as feeding the gaiter over the drive shaft just would not work until I used two screwdrivers and used my pushbike wheel innertube changing technique!  Some work in the footwell screwing down handbrake and gear lever has followed.

Then replacement of the cooling system. The old cowling came out fairly cleanly but left me scratching my head as to how to put it all back together again.  Thank you internet! – a source suggested that the best thing to do is to jack up under the engine block and the engine mounts separate from the block and putting the cowling back in is easy.

The real problem came in replacing the backplate which 2CVers will know sits behind the oil cooler and in front of the back of the cowling.  The new oil cooler, proudly sat, rampant on the front of the block was very obviously in the wrong place.  Several hours later, much swearing and bruised fingers, and reforming the pipes on the cooler and I was able to put it all back with the backplates, cooler, cowling and fan and fanbelt all in place.

20160921_180438

And that is how it rests until I am back from France.  I am planning to replace the air filter in the 2CV position rather than the Dyane offset, and have ordered new brackets and hoses.  I have also been sizing up how the Powertube will fit onto the new cowling. I will need to drill a large hole on the top of the cowling but will wait until I can place it accurately.

I cannot bring myself to start the engine again.  I am convinced that the oil feeder pipes and the oil cooler will have fractured again – and I can’t face taking it all apart once more if the oil starts spraying out again.  So the testing of all the cooling system – oil and air – will have to wait until I am back and rested and able to face any problems again.

It will be downhill all the way from here…..

 

22. Actually working !!

image_pdfimage_print

The reason for its poor starting is that I forgot to use the choke!  Once the flooding had eased and I got the correct balance of throttle and choke, it started and ran quite sweetly.    What you can’t see from the video is the oil coming out from what turned out to be a fractured pipe into the oil cooler.

How clever was I in not yet fitting the new cowling (which hasn’t arrived yet!)  to enable me to replace the oil cooler (when that arrives) as well as the oil feeder pipes.

I am thinking I have been somewhat less clever, in not running the engine on the bench much earlier and finding the oil leaks then.  Note to other builders – I think this would have been a good idea!

“Oh look” says Ed.  “You have not changed the old gaiter on the drive shaft”.   “Yes I have” I replied – but it does look very torn.  I think the suspension has been too loose on that side and when we have been turning the road wheel when up in the air, it has rubbed against the chassis.  New gaiter ordered from ECAS and the drive shaft off for gaiter replacement.  Here as around other bits of the car I am beginning to feel I know my way around this a bit better now.  Who knows I might get myself a permanent job as a Citroen mechanic/engineer!

Meanwhile, the body has been screwed down with the Burton trims and we have played around with the seat/seat belt anchorage system.  Ed and I scratched our heads a bit as we puzzled out how to fit the seatbelts.  It seems that the lap and diagonal belts are to be fitted a**e about face, as the only sensible anchorage for the vertical is in the centre of the frame at the top.  Before that gets fitted permanently I need to be able to get upside down again inside the footwell to finalise the clutch and accelerator cable fittings and finally screw the handbrake securely to the body. The remaining fitting of the steering column really needs to be left until the body is in its final place on the chassis.  A few bits more in finishing off the engine compartment (heater tubes, wiring, heat exchanger cables etc) and I think we will turn our thoughts and actions to fitting the rear wings and boot lid.

Quick update;  a few days later – new oil cooler fitted.  No real problem except you must check for the old rubber grommets still in the hole in the block – removed – then having to very carefully bend the pipes so that it fits properly.   Engine started again and, Hey, no obvious oil leaks, so when the new fan cover arrives, it can be fitted permanently.

New gaiter fitted – really hard work in putting the new gaiter on; remove inner drive shaft from the disk, separate inner and outer shafts and slide new gaiter on to shaft.  Hard work with a slippery greasy shaft and gaiter in trying to push it into place, but 45 minutes later, all done!   Retired for lunch and afternoon with my feet up.  🙂

I am off sailing in a week and then back for a trip to France with Jane and Millie so it looks like very little further work until mid October.   See you then, but in the meantime feel free to comment as you wish – I will be keeping an eye on any responses .