image_pdfimage_print

8. RTFM time

image_pdfimage_print

Morning spent in assembling the new engine hoist which I have purchased.  Some hours later and with a sense of how the Chinese express themselves, (by my reading the manual) I was able to make slow progress with the build.  A combination of poor Chinglish and distorted explanations and drawings took its toll, but I am pleased to report it is now put together and already providing service.

Ed came up with an alternative “scrappie”   and the garage has been cleared!  The very nice man with a van came round and took away the body.  Ed and I helped him to prepare the body to put it on the lorry (along with a bunch of other stuff already collected).    I was let loose with the angle grinder and satisfied a primordial desire to cut up bodies.

IMG_20151020_150220IMG_20151020_150227

Note the number if you need anything scrapped.   Very much recommended.

Clearing the garage, has meant the donor chassis is now up on trestles and therefore much easier to work on.  The idea is to set up the new chassis immediately adjacent and then transfer components from one side to another after cleaning.

IMG_20151020_153147

The body is ready for collection in Holland!  I just need to sort out what extra bits I need from Burton to replace or supplement the bits that are being salvaged from the donor car;  the Burton Manual is pretty good and shows the order in which the kit is reassembled.  Having modified the Order,  its off to Holland in a van and to bring it all back.

 

7. Now we’re motoring

image_pdfimage_print

A Good Day today!

Up with the lark to Surrey Hire and Sales in Addlestone to pick up an engine hoist – £15:24 for 24 hours, tremendous value.  Lugged it to the garage, set it up and attached the cradle to the previously exposed exhaust manifold and started hauling.   The engine and gearbox started coming up off the chassis – and then the chassis started coming up as well!! A quick inspection showed that the handbrake cable was still attached to the handbrake lever!  A choice – undo the caliper at the brake end to free the cable or, and as I did, free off the two remaining bolts attaching the brake lever to the chassis.  In my defence, it was pretty well inaccessible before the engine and gearbox exposed them.   Once free the engine and gearbox swung in the breeze.

IMG_20151013_110218IMG_20151013_110206

By this time Roy had arrived and between us we maneuvered the engine onto the bench ready for taking apart and eventually rebuilding.

IMG_20151013_112031

Meanwhile, the chassis needed attention.  Today we, (but mainly Roy), have managed to get the petrol tank out, the rear axle off and some of the suspension.  IMG_20151013_145914IMG_20151013_121535

Some hard work to get the track rods off the wheels, and we have the steering rack with track rods still attached until we can work them loose ready to be refurbished.

IMG_20151013_145855IMG_20151013_145859

But the chassis is looking slightly more bare and that is good.

IMG_20151013_145845

So the next visit should see the rest of the stuff off the chassis and we can start refurbishing as necessary.  On balance the chassis and its components look remarkably good for a “barn find” car that has spent 20 years out in a field.  The chassis is obviously not original but it is in good enough condition that I keep wondering whether to replace it with the new ECAS chassis.  I think I will but the old chassis may well have some value to someone else.

Unfortunately, I heard today that the scrap merchants I had line up to pick up the old body have decided it is not for them, so some phone bashing to find some one new.   We need the room as more bits are lying around on the floor!

We have a new recruit, Ed King, a mate of mine and a TR2 owner who therefore knows about these sort of things, who has offered to help as well.  Team Noble is growing!

Anyway, a good day today and a sense of progress!

6. Back to the Grindstone

image_pdfimage_print

Nothing new to report other than below, as I have been away on holiday

But, before going off Roy and I took the body off the chassis.  It was all prepared with all the bolts being undone and then with careful rocking from side to side (as recommended in the manuals) the body separated from the sticky strip laid down to seal the gap between shell and chassis.

IMG_20150903_114424      IMG_20150903_115154

I can confirm that it is possible for two geriatrics to lift the shell; by putting their aged bodies to levering scaffold poles between chassis and shell, and then pushing the chassis away, and off it came.  The scaffold poles then acted as rollers to get the body back into the garage to await disposal.

Only a small crowd gathered to watch (well, one actually) and there was no cinematic record of the moment; the photos here will have to do.

IMG_20150903_123628

The garage is now getting crowded, so I have to arrange for removal of the body by Scrap Merchants.  Then I propose laying the new chassis next to the old one and gradually dismantling, fettling and assembling from one to the other.

Timetable has now been worked out and every Tuesday (plus others if possible) Roy and I will be labouring on site.  Dramatic news from today is that the cafe on whom we would have relied for lunches is likely to close unless Sam who runs it, can secure a deal with the owners.  This may have a severe effect on productivity.